Quick Note: It's official, with Julian back in the islands the show is going back to a bi-weekly recording schedule. This means you will see a numbered episode at least two times a month, with the possibility of a ToB Interlude thrown in there every now and then for good measure. As always, thanks for listening!
It's a big show this week and it kicks off with a bang as the guys play a Spider-Man themed version of Nerd Association in honour of the new trailer as well as discuss the news that Spidey might be leaving the MCU sooner than we thought. Julian, Dan and Jeremy then dissect the Justice League, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Mummy trailers before examining Ghost in the Shell's abysmal box office performance. Moving on, and in what is quickly becoming a staple of the ToB Podcast, the Agree or Disagree segment returns, this time asking whether Rotten Tomatoes is truly the "destruction" of the movie business. On the TV front, Buffy celebrates 20 years, followed by briefly talking about several shows that had either their season or series finales including Legion on FX (A show that everyone should be watching) and Star Wars: Rebels (Another show everyone should be watching) and Black Sails. Plus, True Detective season three might happen after all! The show then continues into a bit of gaming news and a discussion on Mass Effect: Andromeda before closing out on a brief discussion on diversity in comics. All this and so much more on this week's Tower of Babble Podcast, which is nothing if not chock-full of nerdy goodness. Enjoy!
Remember to Subscribe and rate us on iTunes to give us your feedback!
- Round 1: Green Goblin
- Round 2: Peter Parker
- Round 3: Rogues Gallery (no word cap)
- Justice League
- The Mummy
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Ghost in the Shell FLOPPED at the box office with an estimated $19 million at the domestic box office.
- $110 million budget
- $40 million in international markets
- Elsewhere in the box office Boss Baby took in $49 million which dethroned Beauty and the Beast from the top spot.
- Variety has reported that Joss Whedon is in talks with Warner Bros. to helm (write/direct/produce) a Batgirl solo film that would centre around Barbara Gordon and star other Gotham-centric characters.
- According to Spider-Man: Homecoming producer Amy Pascal the deal between Sony and Marvel seems to have an end date. One that is closer than we might have thought.
- More details about the Venom solo film:
- The director of Spider-Man: Homecoming, Jon Watts, confirmed in an interview with Fandango that Venom WON’T be apart of the MCU.
- It’s due to begin filming this fall and is being billed as a “Action/Horror/Sci-fi” film.
- The Tomb Raider movie is filming right now and they’ve released the first official image of Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft.
- Hasbro is looking to reboot it’s GI Joe film franchise.
- Disney CEO Bob Iger thinks Star Wars will probably continue for some time after Episode IX saying that they have “another decade and a half of Star Wars stories”.
- He also said that Carrie Fisher’s performance for Episode VII will remain unchanged after her death and have no plans to digitally recreate her for Episode IX.
- Netflix is extending its deal with Adam Sandler, adding 4 more movies more movies to the deal.
Agree or Disagree,
Former X-Men director Brett Ratner has some pretty strong thoughts on Rotten Tomatoes. Speaking to EW he had voiced his displeasure for the movie rating service. Here's an excerpt from that interview: “The worst thing that we have in today’s movie culture is Rotten Tomatoes, I think it’s the destruction of our business."
- Buffy is celebrating 20 years!
- Walking Dead season 7 finale
- Legion finale
- Black Sails SERIES finale
- Star Wars Rebels season 3 finale
- Rick and Morty season 3 April Fools day premier.
- True Detective S3 has been saved!
- According to EW, creator Nic Pizzolatto has already written 2 episodes for the third season and is working with Deadwood creator/writer/producer/Emmy winner David Milch
- HBO has yet to officially green-light the third season.
- Iron Fist did great numbers for Netflix according to 7Park Data accounting for 14.6% of all streams on the day of its premier.
- We got our first look at Cress Williams in cosume for the CW Black Lightning pilot.
- Activision is working on putting Assassins Creed on TV.
- Bungie announces Destiny 2 and drops a trailer starring Nathan Fillion.
- It's set to release this fall.
- Blizzard is releasing a remastered version of the original StarCraft in the summer.
- Nathan Drake won't appear in Uncharted: Lost Legacy “At All” according to Naughty Dog’s Kurt Margenau.
- Call of Duty might be going back to WWII. This comes from what appears to be leaked marketing materials from Sledgehammer Games showing that the next COD instalment is simply called "Call of Duty: WWII".
- Super Mario Run didn’t meet Nintendo’s sales expectations but they are still confident in its pricing strategy.
- DC has announced the event series that will reunite Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo with Batman. The Masterminds behind the amazing new 52 batman run have been working on Dark Nights: Metal, which will follow Batman as he explores the history of Nth metal and its impact on human history.
- Releasing this August
- Marvel has gotten itself into some hot water of some comments about diversity. We discuss...
What We've Been Watching/Playing
- Mass Effect: Andromeda