With a whole pile of video game news to discuss the ToB Crew returns ready to talk all about the news that came out of The Video Game Awards 2016 and Playstation Experience in Anaheim. Not the least of which being the surprise announcement of The Last of Us: Part Two. But before getting to any of that the guys break down the new Transformers 5: The Last Knight and The Mummy trailers as well as discuss Jimmy Kimmel's promotion from Emmy host to Oscar host and some Rogue One tidbits before moving on to some TV talk. Which included: CW's big Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow crossover, Netflix introducing offline viewing for select titles and a Sons of Anarchy spinoff. Finally, beyond all the major gaming announcements, Julian, Daniel and Jeremy also dissect the rumour that suggests Gamecube games will be coming to the Nintendo Switch Virtual Console and debate which games should make the list. All this and so much more in this week's Tower of Babble Podcast!
Remember to Subscribe and rate us on iTunes to give us your feedback!
- Round 1: Nintendo Entertainment System
- Round 2: Nintendo 64
- Round 3: Nintendo Gamecube
- Transformers 5: The Last Knight
- The Mummy
- According to Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy, no matter how well it does there are no plans for a direct sequel to next week’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
- Rogue One director said if he ever came back to do more Star Wars he would like to explore Obi-Wan’s “wilderness years” with more of a samurai or western theme.
- Jimmy Kimmel will be hosting the 2017 Academy Awards
- Disney made more money than any other studio this year at the box office
Making an estimated $2.49 billion this year alone. That's without including Rogue One’s results which will be coming in next week.
- This sets a record for the most ever made in a year by one company at domestic box office.
- Universal held that record from last year (Furios 7 and Jurassic World, etc.)
- Spiderman’s suit in Homecoming will have web-wings.
- In an interview with Screenjunkies Vin Diesel said that a James Gunn spinoff movie for Rocket and Groot following Infinity War was “highly possible”.
- Westworld finale
- DCW Invasion crossover
- Based off the DC book called Invasion! By Bill Mantlo, Keith Griffen and Todd Macfarlene
- CW released a trailer for Riverdale. A show based on Archie and his friends. Except its gritty and everyone is good looking and there’s some kind of mystery.
- Netflix is introducing offline viewing for select titles on mobile devices.
- Scott Buck, showrunner on Marvel's Iron Fist will be taking over the Inhumans ABC series as well.
- The series will debut in IMAX in september 2017 and on September 26th it will premier on ABC on tuesday nights.
- Luke Cage season 2 was also announced with no release date set.
- According to an interview with Brian Fuller, he won't be involved with any production or post production on Star Trek: Discovery. He’s completely off the project.
- Sons of Anarchy is getting a spinoff series on FX called Mayans MC and the pilot will be directed by Son’s creator Kurt Sutter.
- Legion, the X-Men television series will premiere on FX on Wed Feb 8 and also released a new trailer.
- The Game Awards 2016 took place a few days ago. Let's go through the winners and some of the notable announcements.
- Game of the Year: Overwatch (Blizzard)
- Best Game Direction: Blizzard (for Overwatch)
- Best Narrative: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (Naughty Dog/SIE)
- Best Art Direction: Inside (Playdead)
- Best Music/Sound Design: Doom (id Software/Bethesda)
- Best Performance: Nolan North as Nathan Drake, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
- Games for Impact: That Dragon, Cancer (Numinous Games)
- Best Independent Game: Inside (Playdead)
- Best Mobile/Handheld Game: Pokemon Go (Niantic)
- Best VR Game: Rez Infinite (Enhance Games)
- Best Action Game: Doom (id Software/Bethesda)
- Best Action/Adventure Game: Dishonored 2 (Arkane Studios/Bethesda Softworks)
- Best RPG: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- Blood and Wine (CD Projekt RED)
- Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter V (Capcom)
- Best Strategy Game: Civilization VI (Firaxis Games/2K)
- Best Family Game: Pokemon Go (Niantic)
- Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Horizon 3 (Playground Games/Microsoft Studios)
- Best Multiplayer Game: Overwatch (Blizzard)
- Most Anticipated Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
- Best eSports Game: Overwatch (Blizzard)
- Best eSports Team: Cloud9
- Best eSports Player: Marcelo "coldzera" David
- Trending Gamer: Boogie2988
- Notable Game Awards 2016 Announcements
- Death Stranding trailer (Mads Mikkelsen)
- Telltale confirms its Guardians of the Galaxy game (5 parts)
- Prey (Spring 2017)
- Zela Breath of the Wild gameplay trailer
- Shovel Knight prequel
- Halo Wars 2
- Walking Dead: A New Frontier
- Mass Effect Andromeda gameplay trailer
- PSX 2016 was held in Anaheim and had a few major announcements of its own:
- The Last of Us Pt 2
- Bruce Straley (director from the first game) won't return. He’s on a 1 year sabbatical after completing Uncharted 4.
- Neil Druckmann will take on the role as the sole director.
- Neil co-wrote the script with Westworld writer Halley Gross (Trompe L’Oeil).
- Gustavo Santaolalla will be back to compose.
- Uncharted 4: Lost Legacy
- Nex Machina is Housemark's new game (Resogun)
- More Horizon Zero Dawn footage
- Wipeout Omega collection
- Capcom announces 2v2 fighter sequel Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite for PS4, out 2017
- PaRappa the Rapper, Patapon and Loco Roco PS4 remasters coming in 2017
- Knack 2 is coming to PS4
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy rebuilds the PSone classics for a unique PS4 remaster package
- The Last of Us Pt 2
- According to Eurogamer, 3 separate sources confirm that Switch will be adding Gamecube games to the virtual console.
- Apparently 3 games are already running and ready to go. Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi’s Mansion and Super Smash Bros Melee. And Animal Crossing is being tested.
- Secondly, Nintendo is looking into a way to use the Wii U's Gamecube controller adapter for the Switch.
- Nintendo also recently spoke about what their original plan was for the followup to Wind Waker.
What We've Been Watching/Reading/Playing
- Star Wars Catalyst (audiobook) by James Luceno
- Mario Maker 3DS
- Star Trek Voyager