Its been awhile since everyone has sat down and really drilled into the latest in geek news. But with Julian now settled (somewhat) back onto the island, the ToB Crew can return to their old routine. Starting with a whole pile of stories and rumours coming from WB about seemingly every one of their upcoming superhero projects. The Oscars also released their list of nominees for the upcoming ceremony so of course the big categories are discussed. On the TV side, news comes out that the Coen brothers will be trying their hand at the small screen for the first time and that Fox has ordered another X-Men series with Brian Singer attached. Over with video games, the guys talk about some rumours about the next Batman game as well as the future of Marvel in the games space now that they've inked a deal with Square Enix. Finally, the big Nintendo Switch conference was only a short time ago so every detail from price to the launch game lineup are covered.
Remember to Subscribe and rate us on iTunes to give us your feedback!
(Note: Apologies for some of the hard to hear audio. It was our first time getting back to the Skype setup in some time which brought with it some technical difficulties. We promise to strive for a superior sound next episode.)
- Round 1: God of War
- Round 2: 300
- Round 3: Spartacus
- News and rumours have come out about the coming Green Lantern film. Called “Green Lantern Corps” Deadline reports that Man of Steel and BvS writer David Goyer has joined the writing staff.
- Goyer and Geoff Johns conceived the story together and is being described as “Lethal Weapon in space” It will follow both Hal Jordan and John Stewart and their relationship with the Corps.
- We also got some rumours about a short list of actors up for the role of Hal Jordan
- Ryan Reynolds
- Tom Cruise
- Joel McHale
- Bradley Cooper
- Armie Hammer
- Jake Gyllenhaal
- The director of Suicide Squad, David Ayer, will be directing another DC film. Gotham City Sirens is his next project, based off the comics of the same name.
- Ayer will also be producing the film alongside Harley Quinn actress Margot Robbie. Of course Jon Burg and Geoff Johns will also be producing.
- The screenwriter from the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot Geneva Robertson-Dworet will be penning the script.
- Staying with David Ayer, he recently came out and said he wishes he could go back and change some of the things he did with Suicide Squad. Namely that he would have made The Joker the main villain and make a more grounded story.
- The Flash film’s script is getting a complete rewrite.
- Patrick Wilson has been cast as Arthur Curries half brother Orm, the Ocean Master, in the Aquaman movie.
- We can confirm that Danny Huston is playing Aries, the god of war, and will be the main antagonist in the Wonder Woman film.
- After a Dwayne Johnson had a meeting with DC execs about the Shazam movie and confirming his role as Black Adam news has come out that the the Shazam movie will now be split into two films. One of which would be a Black Adam standalone film.
- Thor: Ragnarok has a plot synopsis:
- “Imprisoned on the other side of the universe, the mighty Thor (Chris Hemsworth) finds himself in a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), his former ally and fellow Avenger. Thor's quest for survival leads him in a race against time to prevent the all-powerful Hela (Cate Blanchett) from destroying his home world and the Asgardian civilization.”
- It looks like the movie will take Thor and Hulk to the planet Sakaar. For those familiar with Hulk stories from the comics you might recognize this as the name of the planet Hulk finds himself on in the Planet Hulk storyline.
- Episode VIII has an official subtitle - The Last Jedi
- Rogue One has crossed $1 Billion at the box office
- James Cameron is making a documentary with AMC about the sci-fi genre in pop culture.
- It will be made in 6, one hour episodes and debut sometime in 2018.
- Speaking of James Cameron, Tim Miller, director of Deadpool, is in talks to start the reboot of the Terminator franchise when Mr. Cameron regains the rights in 2019.
- Oscar Nominees
- Marco Polo cancelled by Netflix
- Fox has ordered a pilot for an X-Men tv series. Bryan Singer has signed on to direct the pilot and will also executive produce. The show will apparently focus on the parents of a mutant, who find themselves joining an underground resistance because of a hostile government.
- The Coen brothers are working on their first ever television project. Called “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” that will be set in the old west. It will be a mini series that tells separate but interconnected stories each episode.
- The CW announced that it will be bringing back Constantine. Just not in the way we last saw it. The network will be bringing the back the show as an animated series on its web service, CW Seed.
- Matt Ryan, who played the character in live action, will return to voice the character and Greg Berlanti will produce it.
- CW also announced that they would be renewing all their DC superhero shows for another season. Putting Arrow into season 6, for context.
- Game of Thrones is set to premier its 7th season but that doesn't mean that they aren't already working on season 8 (which is looking more and more like the final season). HBO programming president Casey Bloys has said that they haven't nailed down the exact episode count.
- Netflix has released a teaser trailer for House of Cards season 5 that revealed when it will be hitting the streaming service. Just a short wait until May 30th.
- According to rumour, the WB Montreal team responsible for Batman Arkham Origins has scrapped their Suicide Squad project and are now working on a Damian Wayne Batman game. The rumour comes from Kotaku and says that the Suicide Squad project was in development for at least 2 years and was possibly even a co-op game.
- Sticking with WB for a second, Injustice 2 got another trailer and a release date. May 16th in North America
- Over on the Marvel side, which hasn't had a video game of note for some time has announced a major multi game deal with Square Enix. The developer of the new Tomb Raider, Crystal Dynamics will be involved as well as the developer of Deus Ex, Eidos Montreal. Called the Avengers Project, they released a vague trailer with an equally vague hashtag - Reassemble
- he first game announcement will come in 2018.
- NES Classic sold nearly 200,000 units in the US alone.
- Will launch globally on March 3rd for $299.99 US
- The console will include:
- L and R Joycons
- Joy-Con grips
- Nintendo Switch dock
- HDMI Cable and AC adapter
- Nintendo also announced a new paid online service that will include a free NES or SNES game a month.
- The games will include new online features but will only be available for the one month
- Rumours have also been circulating that the voice chat and other online services will be accessed through a smartphone rather than the console itself.
- The service will be a free at launch but will have a fee shortly after
- They also discussed what they call HD rumble for the joy cons using the example of being able to feel individual ice cubes in a glass.
- The Games
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Inspired by Mario 64 and Sunshine
- Takes Mario to New-Donk City
- New hat mechanics
- Aiming for holiday 2017
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be a launch title
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Splatoon 2
- 1 2 Switch
What We've Been Watching
- Trapped (Netflix International)
- Justice League Action
- Rebels “Trials of the Dark Saber”
- John Wick