After taking a week off for Canadian Thanksgiving the ToB Crew returns to unpack the latest in geek news. The big story this week being the release and subsequent box office flop of Blade Runner 2049. Julian and Jeremy discuss why it might not have resonated with main stream audiences and give a spoiler free review. The guys also discuss the new Star Wars: Episode VII The Last Jedi trailer, Adam West's last Batman performance and break down a few stories from New York Comic Con. All this and so much more on this week's Tower of Babble Podcast!
Remember to Subscribe and leave a 5 star review on Apple Podcasts if you love the show!
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Justice League
- New Mutants
- Pacific Rim Uprising
- Blade Runner 2049 released last week to underwhelming box office numbers, only making $31.5 million on opening weekend. We give a spoiler free review as well as discuss Julian's piece examining the possible reasons it flopped.
- Mark Ruffalo, who plays Bruce Banner/The Hulk told IGN that Thor Ragnarok is the beginning of a 3 part story arc for his character that will span another 2 movies.
- The Fast and Furious franchise is officially getting a spin-off movie. The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that the Rock (Luke Hobbs) and Jason Statham (Deckard Shaw) will get their own film set to premiere July 26 2019.
- According to Arnold himself, the next Terminator will ignore the events of Genisys.
James Cameron and Tim Miller have also offered a few details of their own: they are going to continue to play with the idea that the organic components of the Terminator age normally with Miller adding that he preferred grounded stories.
- Production on the 4 sequels to Avatar have now officially begun.
- The term "DCEU" apparently started as a joke and is not officially used at WB in any way.
- We're getting a new Men in Black movie. Sony has fast tracked a spin-off film for May 17, 2019 that according to Deadline would not feature Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones.
- Rumour has it that Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival director Denis Villeneuve is in talks to direct a bio pic of Cleopatra, according to Variety.
- Hey Arnold! Is getting a new movie that is supposed to answer some unanswered questions from the series.
- Batman vs Two Face might not be Adam West’s last performance as Batman. At least according to Burt Ward, who plays Robin.
- It looks like the Gambit movie is back on track. Deadline is reporting that Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean) is in talks to helm the movie set to release February 14, 2019.
- Looks like the movie ticket business is shrinking again. Fandango, who own a massive part of the market already, has announced a deal to buy MovieTIckets.com.
- Fox has announced that they are working on a Bob’s Burgers movie.
- Fall TV is back and Julian briefly touches on some of his favourite (and not so favourite) series that have premiered so far. Check out the full written piece HERE.
- Star Trek: Discovery
- The Deuce
- The Gifted
- Netflix and Marvel are apparently pushing back the premiere of The Punisher to a later date.
The NYCC panel was cancelled last minute after the tragic events in Las Vegas.
- Rick and Morty had a record setting season finale.
- The DC CW shows are back and here's what we think of The Flash season premiere.
- Batman The Animated Series is coming to Blu Ray next year.
- Another fun DC Blu Ray announcement came out of NYCC. DC announced a box set with EVERY DC animated original film for their 10th anniversary.
- This leads to a great comic book discussion to close out the show.