With Julian now back in the Cayman Islands for, at least, six months the show is back to the Skype setup, but it doesn't take them long to get right back into the swing of things. Starting with a fresh game of Nerd Association the guys discuss the latest from the DCEU, the return of The Matrix, the latest delay of Avatar 2 and all the latest in nerdy movie news. The ToB Crew then revisit another old segment, "Agree of Disagree" (We're still working on a better name), and give their take on whether the film industry has a "bleak" future. Next is some TV talk covering Netflix dumping the five star rating system and some major Star Wars moments on Rebels followed by a brief Games section. To close out the show Julian, Jeremy and Daniel give a preliminary review of Marvel's Iron Fist and have a heated debate on the merits of the PS4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn.
Remember to Subscribe and rate us on iTunes to give us your feedback!
Theme: The Matrix
- Round 1: Post Apocalyptic
- Round 2: The Matrix
- Round 3: Keanu Reeves
- The script for Ben Affleck's solo Batman film is being almost entirely rewritten by Chris Terrio and Deathstroke actor Joe Manganiello is no longer certain he’s even in the movie.
- WB is looking to fast track one of its other DCEU films to fill the release date that Batman left when it was delayed.
- WB is looking at Kingsman and X-Men: First Class director Mathew Vaughn to direct Man of Steel 2.
- WB wants bring back the Matrix.
- Writer Zach Penn says it's not a reboot or a remake.
- Rumour has it that they would like Michael B Jordan to star in a Morpheus prequel film.
- Avatar 2 ISN'T coming out in 2018 according to James Cameron and has no firm release date.
- Ridley Scott wants to make four more Alien movies after Alien: Covenant
- Universal has announced a new Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson movie called Skyscraper.
- "Skyscraper follows Johnson's Will Ford, a former FBI Hostage Rescue Team leader and U.S. war veteran who now assesses security for skyscrapers. During an assignment in China, Will suddenly finds himself framed for setting the world's tallest, safest building ablaze. Now a wanted man on the run, not only does Will have to clear his name and find those responsible, but must also save his wife and children, who are trapped inside the building."
- Mads Mikkelsen literally walked out of an audition for Fantastic Four after they asked him to “pretend to extend his arms like a rubber man”
- According to director James Mangold, the ending to Logan was foreshadowed in The Wolverine.
- Yukio in The Wolverine says “I see you on your back, there’s blood everywhere. You’re holding your own heart in your hand.”.
- James Gunn basically confirmed a Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Speaking to Complex he said “There will be a Guardians 3, that's for sure. We’re trying to figure it out.”.
- Sony has set the release date for the Venom standalone film for October 5, 2018.
- Beauty and the Beast opened in first place with 174.8 million at the boxoffice. Passing Iron Man 3 and becoming the 6th biggest domestic opening in box office history.
Agree or Disagree
- Dave Chen of the /Filmcast posted this piece to his personal blog that I thought was worth further discussion. The piece posits, citing an interview with David Lieberman and Doug Creutz, that the outlook for the film industry is "bleak".
- Star Wars Rebels featured a major Star Wars moment in it’s latest episode. Entitled “Twin Suns”, Obi Wan Kenobi and the former Sith lord Maul faced off for the last time.
- Netflix is getting rid of its 5 star ratings system in favour of a binary thumbs up or thumbs down system instead. A personalized percentage will also go below the selection that will tell you how likely you are to like the movie based on your viewing habits.
- Legion has been renewed by FX for a second season.
- Naughty Dog co-president Christophe Balestra is leaving the renowned game studio. After 15 years with the company, Christophe is leaving “to pursue fulfilling personal ambitions and projects”. Evan Wells, who has served as co-president for 12 years will now act as Naughty Dog’s sole president.
- Firestorm has been announced as a playable character for Injustice 2.
- Mass Effect: Andromeda releases this week to mixed reviews.
- It has a 75 on Metacritic as of April 20th, 2017.
What We've Been Watching/Playing
- Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix)
- Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)